Friday, December 13, 2019

A Dixon Birthday Party and Family Reunion



On September 9, 1895, the Dixon family gave a party for my grandpa’s grandparents, and over 70 friends and relatives attended. The oldest attendee was 85. They came from several nearby towns. My great, great grandmother was turning 58 and my great, great grandfather was turning 63.

The date was chosen because their daughter, Mary, started school again at the School for the Blind in Jacksonville, Illinois on the 11th, two days later. It almost sounds as if they were going to stay... thus Joe (Jr.) and family would need a new house and had to move out before it was built... and let Mary fend for herself at school as she was now a teenager and had been at the school for a couple of years.

This reminds me of the extended family holiday get-together at Killbuck Park when I grew up. What fun!

No comments: