Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Questions to be Answered



I’ll amend this list as information comes along. I’m getting to the end of the story, so I thought I would share my list of loose ends. Let me know if you think of other unanswered questions.

What is the history of other land purchases and sales after the initial purchase of federal lands?

We lack information about the cause of death of several individuals prior to modern death certificates and when availability of local newspaper coverage is spotty.

Are there any other newspapers covering 1840 to 1929 that my have information about the family? Terry Harper of Edwards County Historical Society will know.

I have been working with Ancestry.com for a couple of years now and it is impressive. I pay for months of service without logging in, and I will eventually have to give it up, but it is very worthwhile when you actually use it. I’ve tried to put all of the key information in the blog so that others don’t have to pay or repeat the work on Ancestry. You need to pay extra to get access to many newspaper articles that they have put online and I have chosen not to pay extra for the international version. I have decided not to dig too deep into the past in England or Germany (pre 1840). His book will be out eventually and it will have lots of source information in England and Germany.

Note that half of my grandmother Della’s ancestors lived in America around or even before the Revolutionary War, something I did not realize for several months of early research. More than 50% of her tree originates in Germany.

No comments: